What's the difference between Manslaughter, Murder, First and second degree and all the other variants?

First, it's important to clarify a term. Homicide is any act that unlawfully kills a human being. So all of these can be called homicide.
First Degree murder - I have had a chance to think about it (maybe a few seconds, maybe years) and have decided to kill you. and I kill you.
  • Example: Wife kills husband to collect insurance check.
Second degree murder (voluntary) - I have decided to kill you, but I decided it spur of the moment, without giving it much thought. and I kill you.
  • Example: Husband Kills wife because he suddenly decides he doesn't like the way she makes the bed. Like, really doesn't like it.
Second degree murder (involuntary) - I have decided to do something really dangerous, like trick you into playing russian roulette because I think it'd be funny. Even though I didn't decide to kill you, you die.
  • Example: Wife isn't sure whether or not mysterious green substance she found in the backyard is poisonous, despite the fact that it kills all the foliage around it. Decides to secretly feed it to husband to find out. Husband dies.
Voluntary Manslaughter - I thought I was defending myself reasonably when I killed you, but I was wrong. OR I decided to kill you spur of the moment (like second degree) but you had provoked me first in a way that a reasonable person might find partially excuses my action, and when I killed you I was still in the heat of passion from that provocation.
  • Example: Husband walks in on wife setting fire to the only copy of the novel he's spent the last 10 years writing. He pushes her head into the flames and she dies.
Felony Murder - I decide to commit a felony. You die during the felony.
  • Example: Wife decides to break into husband's place of work to steal money. Husband sees robber with gun entering the building, has a heart attack and dies.
Involuntary Manslaughter - I do something really, really dangerous, but not quite as dangerous as involuntary second degree murder. You die as a result.
  • Example - Husband sees wife pass out after getting hit in the head. Decides to finish watching entire second season of House of Cards before calling ambulance, thinking that she couldn't be that injured. She dies.
Misdemeanor Manslaughter - I break some minor regulation, like owning a gun without a license. You die as a result.
  • Example - Wife buys raw milk, which is illegal in her town despite usually being safe. Husband drinks it and has unusually severe reaction, gets sick and dies.
What's the difference between Manslaughter, Murder, First and second degree and all the other variants? What's the difference between Manslaughter, Murder, First and second degree and all the other variants? Reviewed by parcelhubkajang on March 26, 2014 Rating: 5
Powered by Blogger.